Posted August 16, 2017 in Facial Treatments
Many people who undergo facial plastic surgery procedures such as mini facelift surgery should know results are long-lasting, but that does not mean they will last forever. However, resilient results can be achieved and maintained by properly listening to instructions pre-and post-surgery, and following a healthy lifestyle. Proper maintenance is essential in creating beautiful, smooth, and youthful facial surgery results.
Unhealthy Habits to Avoid After Surgery
Adopting a healthier lifestyle before and after surgery is very important when trying to achieve the best facial plastic surgery outcome. Patients who follow a nutritious diet, exercise regularly, have a positive attitude, embrace a sense of humor, help others, and avoid the following habits are more likely to enjoy longer-lasting facial surgery results:
- Avoid smoking tobacco: Cigarettes contain carbon monoxide, which causes a lack of oxygen in the body. The nicotine in cigarettes can reduce blood flow making the skin appear dry and discolored. It can also decrease the amount of vitamin C in the body, an essential ingredient that helps to fight aging and skin damage.
- Refrain from excessive alcohol consumption: Alcohol dehydrates the face and body, which leads to lack of moisture in the skin. Without a healthy amount of moisture in the skin, it is unable to fight off aging indicators, such as fine lines and wrinkles, from developing.
- Not wearing sunscreen: Many people only think about wearing sunscreen when they are going to the beach or the pool. Sun protection should be an everyday habit. Patients should try to avoid too much sun exposure, and wear a broadband-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher daily.
- Consuming high-sugar foods: Simple carbohydrates like sugar can cause insulin levels to spike, which causes inflammation in the skin. Inflammation eventually leads to the breakdown of collagen and elastin in the skin causing fine lines and wrinkles to form.
Skin Treatments to Undergo After Surgery
Skin treatments are excellent options for maintaining facial surgery results. To complement the outcome from surgical and non-surgical procedures, patients can opt to undergo one or a combination of skincare treatments. Here are some of your options that are available:
- Micro-needling: This treatment helps to stimulate collagen, growth factor, and hyaluronic acid levels found in the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines, poor skin pigmentation, acne scarring, and a lack of skin elasticity. Special serums paired with microneedles are used that work by safely penetrating the damaged layers of the skin. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP), serum from a patient’s own blood, is the best serum to stimulate excellent results.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion creates better blood circulation and stimulates the production of new skin cells by targeting the damaged layers of skin. Microdermabrasion involves the use of crystals or a diamond abrasive tip that is passed gently over the surface of the skin. Once loosened, the cells are suctioned away leaving new skin cells to restore a rejuvenated, smooth, and healthy appearance.
- PCA SKIN® peel: This peel is used to enhance the results one to two weeks following microdermabrasion treatment to increase dead cell removal. PCA SKIN® peel helps to promote the production of collagen and elastin to tighten the surface of the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, redness, poor skin pigmentation, and dullness to the skin.
- Oxygen infusion facial: The facial, Madonna’s favorite, incorporates hydrating serums and hyaluronic acid to refresh the skin cells. This process helps to increase the hydration in the skin and plump skin cells to create a supple and glowing skin tone. With the use of high-grade skincare products, such as SkinMedica®, facial cosmetic surgery results can last and continue to improve.
If you are interested in facial plastic surgery, Dr. Persky can design an individualized facial surgery plan that is right for you. He can provide you with advice and options for achieving the best results. Schedule your consultation by calling (818) 501-FACE or by filling out our online contact form.